Wednesday, 14 January 2015

This morning, I found out that water heaters do not automatically run 24 hours a day here. Unfortunately, I found that out after having taken an ice-cold shower, deciding it was my only option after letting the water run for over 30 minutes with no temperature change. It seems that the heater is active from 8:00am until noon, and aside from those hours you must manually turn it on and it will stay on for a maximum of two hours. 

Later today, I attended an orientation event with at least 500 other exchange students. Some of the staff members spoke to us and provided us with a lot of useful information about the campus. In Ireland, the people do not refer to their native language as Gaelic, but prefer to call it Irish. At the orientation, 
we learned two Irish words that might come in handy during our time here:

*Slán - (slaan) "goodbye"
*Sláinte - (SLAHN-chə) "cheers"

Afterward, there was a reception for the students in the Global Lounge, where music and refreshments were provided.  Something that will probably take some getting used to is the fact that they serve beer and wine at school-sponsored events here. Since the drinking age in Ireland is eighteen, they are allowed to drink casually and publicly on campus. There are also no alcohol restrictions in student residences. So different from the United States!

After the reception, a group of us found our way to the nearest Tesco, which is a major chain supermarket here in Ireland. The store is about a 25 minute walk from campus. It was only drizzling as we walked, but by the time we got back to campus we were thoroughly soaked. 

I am still waiting on my three Irish flatmates to arrive, which probably will not be until Sunday, but I am definitely looking forward to having some company in this quiet apartment!

Classes start on Monday, January 19th.  I am currently registered for four classes here at UCD, all of which will in some way contribute to my degree requirements. These include:


  • Principles of Dairy Production
  • Equine Nutrition
  • Principles of Microbiology
  • Ireland Uncovered

Since I do not have any pictures to contribute from today, I will settle for posting one from the other night, when we toured the streets of Dublin.



Nicole, Audrey, and myself

That's all for now! Thanks for reading!









No comments:

Post a Comment